Thursday, August 25, 2011

Southern Adirondack Audubon Facebook Page

For those of you in upstate New York and into birds, or just into birds in general, you should "Like" the Southern Adirondack Audubon Society Facebook page I just created. It's an idea I've had for some time now, and brought up at a board meeting (why yes, I was on the board) in spring before I suddenly found a cool bird research job and got distracted. It apparently has marinated in the minds of my fellow lovely board members, as the president messaged me about 7 hours ago asking if I may get started on such activity! I didn't have to think twice. It is in a very rudimentary stage for now, as I'm exhausted from training all morning and working this evening and then grocery shopping, but once I communicate with my fellow birders over there in SAASland, things should come together. The Events page is bare as August tends to be our quiet month, although if I remember quickly, we get VERY busy in the fall! There are also many related bird events in the area this autumn from other organizations/non-profits, and then when winter comes we do surveys. So we should have a lot to mention on our Facebook page.

Our (I'm still also a member and like to speak on behalf of SAAS when we do cool stuff) programs are absolutely worth going to. They aren't always directly about birds, but we've had great stories told, including that by Steve Mackey of hiking the Appalachian Trail, and Jackie ( of http://saratogawoodswaters.blogspot.com/ fame) and Sue (who keeps this beautiful blog: http://watrlily.blogspot.com/) talking about wildflower walks, loaded with beautiful photos.

I don't usually talk about SAAS in my blog, but I really should. I love the local Audubon chapter and the people I have met through it are some of the most amazing people I have met in my 29 years. I think the org is understated and not as well-noticed as it should as a local establishment. So I take it upon myself to at least talk about SAAS things in this blog, and to keep that Facebook page updated.

No comments: