Sunday, March 6, 2011

Winter Lull

I had quite the break there, and so did the birds around the house for awhile. But I am back, just as the birdsongs are...for the past three weeks I have woken to sweet songs of the cardinal (now singing the 'purdy purdy' song, which sometimes gets lengthened to 'purdy purdy, pew pew pew pew'), song sparrows (who don't call all winter), and the Carolina wren, which almost always sounds like a car alarm. I am not even sure where the wren had gone to, they stick around all winter but mine had disappeared for about a month. Seems the utterly nasty weather as of late might have made them sparse from an open feeder. The juncos also came back around yesterday to feed, loudly trilling any time I snuck outside but not flying off. Seems they trill just to alert each other but are not afraid.

I've had a pause in my outdoor surveying adventures, but only to begin Operation Environmental Position. In the 3 years since I've graduated college I have amassed enough money to feel comfortable following a more adventurous route and to get into the field I love the most! Working a full-time and a part-time job and doing the full-time job of searching has left me unable to put aside day-lit time as of late. It also doesn't help that there has been a rash of amazing albums in the past few weeks (if at all interested, please check out Sean Rowe: http://www.anti.com/artists/view/81 his music is beautiful and he's a fellow naturalist type!).

Things are also getting exciting bird-wise locally. This year is the first Winter Raptor Fest for Washington County, a two day festival all about the birds that so dearly need human attention in order to keep their populations up, as the habitat they depend on is rapidly diminishing. There will be all sorts of demonstrations of birds, talks, and fun activities (I'm psyched about the sleigh rides). I already got to check out one of these demonstrations a few weeks ago at the Aviation Mall which included great live birds and great people who are helping them. If interested in going, it's next weekend, March 12th and 13th at the Little Theater on the Farm in Fort Edward. I highly suggest it, you won't be disappointed! You'll be supporting the birds I myself have surveyed and watched hunting and perching majestically throughout that habitat.

I'm also happy to say a piece I wrote was recently submitted to the Southern Adirondack Audubon Society's newsletter, The Fledgling. Hooray for me! I'm obviously into science/nature writing, so this was a great opportunity.

Pardon me if this entry was more of a promo piece. There are just great things happening now even in the depths of winter when bird activity is at the lowest. Soon enough the snow will be melted enough and I will be able to post more about what the birds around me are up to. I can hardly wait to hike the local forested mountains, take in a warm breeze, and be surrounded by the calls of many warblers.

No comments: