Monday, March 7, 2011

Last Snowstorm of Winter?

Last night and today the Glens Falls region got pummeled with snow and sleet, complete with wind blowing that stuff sideways! When I left work last night at 10, you could not see to drive and the roads were terribly slippery. I'm not sure how I ever made it.

Today I spent hours shoveling a foot of snow out of the driveway and off my car. I cursed Mother Nature for this, wondering why I wasn't going to be allowed to see many birds for yet another day. And then, as a neighbor was saying something similar, above his head I caught sight of a bird with a large wingspan, showing white and black underneath. I completely ignored the neighbor at that point to realize I was staring at a turkey vulture (first one for me this year!) soaring through the thick snow.

Not long after, while attempting to break through a sheet of ice in front of the house, I suddenly heard a cacophony of calls close by - a large flock of house sparrows had visited bushes in a nearby yard. I guessed they might have been looking for food.

I had to take a phone call after all my shoveling was finished, and found that it was warming, the snow began melting, and the sun came out. I peeked outside near the feeder, and caught sight of a male and female cardinal, dark-eyed juncos, house sparrows, white-breasted nuthatches, and black-capped chickadees making all sorts of calls and looking for the last bit of food that may have been left in that feeder. It was as if they were gathering together to cheer the hopefully last snow of the winter.

No comments: