Wednesday, May 27, 2009

May 24 - Hudson Falls

On May 24th I spend quite a bit of time at a relative's house for a picnic. Oh god, how the picnic itself was so boring. But the yard is fantastic for birding. It's a big open yard surrounded by woods, and behind the woods is a big open field, leading to a canal. I believe I sat and watched birds for about 6 hours. There were plenty of Red-winged Blackbirds and a few Northern Cardinals to watch. The next door neighbor actually had them repeatedly visiting his bird feeder. I loved listening to the Red-winged Blackbirds - they have such varied sweet-sounding metallic noises.

I did split up my 6 hours into a few manageable, noticeable bits:

1:00 PM - 1:30 PM:
- 5 Red-winged Blackbirds
- 1 Common Yellowthroat (I'm starting to get annoyed that I can hear them but never spot them - they seem to be able to 'throw' their calls)
- 1 House Wren

3:50 PM - 4:00 PM:
- 1 Eastern Phoebe
- 1 Northern Cardinal
- 1 Tufted Titmouse
- 2 American Robins
- 2 Red-winged Blackbirds

No comments: