Wednesday, May 27, 2009

May 18th, backyard birding at West Fort Ann house

As I said previously, I've just been too busy to go on a birding trip. The great thing about birding is that birds are almost everywhere.

At the West Fort Ann house, there's multiple feeders and multiple bird houses in various parts of the yard. It's a busy place for wildlife, because it's a busy yard full of plants of all sorts. We also unfortunately had a bit of a deer tick outbreak here in one area due to it being so weedy. My mom took care of that by destroying those weeds and putting down fresh soil in that area. In fact, the last time I saw a deer tick in this yard was May 18th. I kidnapped her and killed her with isopropyl alcohol and then took pictures, because I'm that evil.

I birded twice on that day. My weather notes claim it was overcast and dreary, and only 52*F. My weather! I love it.

So from 11:20-11:35 AM we had:
1 Tufted Titmouse
1 Blue Jay
1 House Wren
2 Chipping Sparrows
2 Eastern Bluebirds - there's a pair that's been nesting here. I love watching the male sit on top of the vacant swallow house, making quiet gurgly warbling calls to his lady who peeks her little head out of the box. Unfortunately, it's a kind of nestbox that I can't open, so I can't spy on the babies, but I don't mind leaving them alone.

I birded again from 11:50 AM - 12:00 PM:
1 Eastern Phoebe (calls from the woods)
2 Black-capped Chickadees
1 Grey Catbird (no kidding! I've never seen a catbird around here before, I couldn't believe it.)
1 Tufted Titmouse
1 American Goldfinch
1 American Robin
2 Mourning Doves

No comments: